- Venue: A high-end customer service environment.
- Position title: I’m guessing an entry- level customer service job.
Immediate signs that this candidate was a winner:
- Completely focused on the person talking to her.
- Outfit was neutral and professional: tailored shirt and slacks.
- Grooming was excellent: hair pulled back so her full face was visible; makeup unobtrusive.
Questions and answers as I heard them (I walked in in the middle):
Question: Tell me about a time you handled a difficult colleague.
Answer: A colleague was talking too much and I asked her to help me take care of the guests by not talking to me so much during my shifts.
Question: Tell me about a time you went out of your way to make a customer happy.
Answer: I worked at [name redacted] and a customer was upset that we were out of a certain kind of cake. I ended up baking one myself because the store on the other side of town was out of them.
Question: You are studying to be a [professional in a different industry]. Why do you want to work here?
Answer: I believe that working here will teach me the skills I need to be successful in my career: customer service and how to run a business.
Question: Any other questions for us?
Answer: Do I have the job?
By Dr. Dannielle Blumenthal. All opinions are the author’s own.